Sunday, May 6, 2012

Healthy Foods For Heart Patients #100


What a weekend.  Great weather, got to spend a lot of time with grandchildren. And had a complete major redo of my home office.  I am going to work out in the morning, very early,  and I am looking forward to it.   As much as I brag to you about how I keep such a strict exercise routine and the such.  Well for the last couple of weeks, since being sick, I have not been in my daily routine.  I have broken every rule I told you not to break about exercise needing a routine.  

What is good for you is good for me and tomorrow I will be back to my routine.   I saw where several readers were going back to the very first postings.  Well, I went back and started reading some of those early discussions about the first few days of coming home from the hospital, and the following couple of months. It made me realize how far to the good I have come.   And I will say many of you also.  Just so you know, if you read this blog, leave a comment, or e-mail as anonymous, I have no idea who you are and no means to contact you.  I am only  making the point that from the comments I receive, I know there are some of you who have gone through the same recovery and rehab as I and we have shared similar efforts to  regain our good health.   Which is what we and this blog are intended for.  To share information experienced, while actually going through recovery with others who are just starting down that same road, and maybe helping them see that they too can return to their healthy lives.

Now for some of my choices for my top healthiest foods that I eat.   I base this on 
effect on cholesterol, weight control, cardiovascular and other health benefits.

Strawberries, one of my favorites and are very high in antioxidants, which are important to your cardiovascular system and in reducing the risk of cancers.   Strawberries help control your blood sugar levels. They are low in calories, and can be eaten as a snack to avoid other tempting unhealthy snack treats.  You can enter "strawberries" in the search this blog tab and find several postings detailing the health benefits of strawberries to a heart patients diet.  Oatmeal.   Regular readers get tired of me writing about oatmeal, but for the benefit of you others changing to a healthy foods lifestyle as a heart patient would have to include a daily bowl of hot oatmeal.  I eat and recommend the one-minute variety. Do not depend on the instant one serving type as you will lose many of the health benefits.   Oatmeal is valuable to the heart patient in cholesterol control, weight control, and as a satisfying healthy breakfast for a good way to start the day. I eat it every day.     Sunflower kernels, walnuts, almonds.  Shelled, plain, not roasted, unsalted in the natural state variety is what I eat.  They all can be high in calories, but these are sugar free calories.  I eat several handfuls daily.  Sometimes when I have a strong urge for something sweet, I will put a handful in a small cup, and mix in a small serving of either honey, or natural molasses.  It results in a great little healthy snack.  Plus I always add some of maybe all three to salads.  They are high in vitamins, reduce LDL cholesterol and provide protein.  Again searching this blog for sunflower seeds, and oatmeal will lead you to a lot more detailed health information.

There are so many more foods that I could include for you that I eat, and based on my results would recommend for a heart patient wanting to reduce and control their cholesterol, and weight.  These are foods that I eat on a regular basis and consider part of my daily diet. Orange juice, skim milk, cornflake cereal, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked potatoes (plain.) Lettuce, low cal raspberry vinaigrette, balsamic vinaigrette, canned tuna fish (water packed).   Vegetable soups.  Green beans, sauerkraut, chicken breast, oranges, apples, grapes, rye bread, cheddar cheese, pickles, olives, avocados, broccoli, and on and on.

You will not need a nutritionist to change to a healthy food lifestyle.  Begin with websites or information as this.  Get a few basic books in the food and health section of a bookstore and you will figure out what best fits your taste and needs.

I do not normally ask for comments but I would like to learn some of your healthy foods suggestions.

I am going to my cardiologist this week and as soon as I get test results back I will let you know what my cholesterol levels are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT